Thursday, February 6, 2014

Life in the fast lane, acting as a reflection of reality

When I started the blog, I thought I would write regularly. My husband J was performing frequently at night which gave me lots of time to kill. I was on the computer anyway, for my volunteer activities, and maintaining his web site, so it seemed natural.

But life has fooled me again. During the summer, we go sailing, and the last thing I want to do is look at a computer screen instead of the water, the sky and nature around me. And life got a whole lot busier last year, when J decided to officially release the CD he finished in 2012. That was the year I proposed, which sidetracked things while we planned a wedding and enjoyed newlywed bliss (which we are still enjoying, just not exclusively.)

In 2013, he decided to form a band, book a concert (the first real concert of his career, in a concert venue, not a bar or restaurant) and get serious about being a singer/songwriter instead of a cover artist. He found the musicians, including three grandsons, who are wonderfully talented, but somewhat inexperienced, and an old friend, who thankfully could figure out the keyboard parts by ear since there was no written music for most of the songs. He talked to everyone he knew about strategy and the best way to proceed. Eventually, he booked the band at the Ark in Ann Arbor in January 2014, hired a publicist and a social media advisor, and set up an aggressive rehearsal schedule to teach the boys all of the new music.

I was supportive in any way I could be, including suggesting he start a kickstarter campaign to "crowd-fund" the videotaping he wanted to do of the concert. That way he would get his DVD to spotlight the band without going into too much debt. We did succeed on that, but with lots of effort, which could be an entire blog by itself. Managing the Kickstarter "rewards" was my job.

All of this work, on top of the maintaining and managing the rental houses he has acquired as a retirement strategy meant that J had to give up some of his cover gigs. We get to spend more evenings together, but we are often working on two computer in adjoining rooms. As the concert got closer, J and I had to develop press kits, posters and other promotional items. We decided to rent a bus to get some of the Lansing area fans to Ann Arbor and that took some coordinating.

Everything went amazingly well, the concert was outstanding. Imagine performing in an intimate 400-seat venue for 200 fans (on a snowy, cold January Tuesday night) who all love and admire you already. And killing it. They were great! Each musician had a featured moment. One of J's sons was able to attend, and joined the band on stage to play a bongo for a song. (His Dad and older son were unable to get out of their scheduled musical gigs and could not come.)

It was definitely a rock star moment. J was surprised, though I do not know why, that they received a standing ovation and did two encores. Then we got to spend time with the audience.  Unload all of the equipment, drive back to East Lansing where a party was already in progress at J's house (Thanks, Jeanne and Lisa!) All in all, a magical, wonderful, unforgettable night.

So you would think, after this is all over, life would go back to 'normal,' whatever that is.

But last summer, before all this fell into place, I was asked to perform in a Black Box production at the theatre where I am a Board member and volunteer. J and I talked about it and decided I should go for it, It is a great script - "Free Man of Color" by Charles Smith, a dramatic story of a freed slave who attended Ohio University in the 1820s, years before the Civil War.

But what was I thinking? Three characters in a two hour play. I have a million lines to memorize! I have had the script since last summer and I started reading it and thinking about it in the fall. We started rehearsals in January - three weeks before the concert. And the show opens three weeks from tomorrow.

No doubt it will all come together. I am getting comfortable with Act I. My biggest emotional scene is in Act II and I am still struggling with that. We took the publicity pictures this week. We found costumes (in The Costume Shop where I serve as Marketing Manager and volunteer). The program is almost done. Things are coming along.

What I did not count on is the emotional toll that this heavy drama would take on my mind and body. This role is not the first one I have done where I have to be angry, sad, frustrated, and sarcastic at various times. I certainly have enough experience in my life to relate to the part, although thank God I have not had the challenges that this woman has had. But I am usually a very positive person, so two hours of this a night is wrenching!

At night, I am suffering stomachaches, headaches, muscle aches and other stress-produced symptoms. Doing this part brings back the times in my life where I seethed inside because I felt out of control, unable to take charge of my own life. And it comes out physically.

Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband to support me, although it is amusing - he is not used to being the one at home "waiting" and is having to find ways to stay busy when he is not working now. I also get to work out my muscles playing on my tennis team and visiting my wonderful massage therapist,  Emma.

So, things will continue to be fast and crazy for at least another month. J and the band have a concert this weekend in East Lansing and are getting more calls all the time to perform.

Since I could not sleep, I have taken the time to write. It would be a shame not to document the adventures with which I have been blessed. Now back to learning my lines ... at least I can let my natural Southern voice come through!

No comments:

Post a Comment