Thursday, September 26, 2013

Last one in is a ... FINALLY got to swim in Lake Erie!


What a strange summer it has been for weather, in my part of the world anyway. We started out a little cool but I was being patient. When it got hot, it was very hot - but we were not at the boat. 

Every time we got to the boat, it seemed there was a 40% chance of precipitation threatening us. Doesn't sound so bad, but 40% can kick up some very unpleasant sailing conditions. And several times, we had 3-day gales blowing. You could barely stand still. Not quite swimming weather for me. J made it in several times, only to warn me that I would not be able to handle it.

We had fun anyway with quick trips, going out to one of the islands for an afternoon or one night and coming back to our home port early. J needed to be at work on Wednesday nights so we could not risk being weathered in away from home.

In mid-August, after three wonderful weeks of guests on board, J and I drove to Port Clinton after his Friday night show for 5 days of R & R. We arrived in time for last call at our Yacht Club before crashing for the night. 

The next morning we checked the weather reports as we drank our "best-ever" coffee, and were cheered to find the wind favorable for a sail to Kelley's Island. But first we headed to the local park for the City Wide Yard Sale. 


On a previous trip, J had brought a loaf of homemade bread (his grandmother's recipe) to the Yacht Club caretaker Eric. He left it on Eric's front porch and we went sailing. Two days later as we approached our home dock, Eric waved and came to help us tie up. "There's been a theft," he said.

I quickly looked to see if my car was there. It was. Then he added, " There were two squirrels partying on my porch the other day." The critters had smelled the bread and chewed their way in through the screened window, knocking over Eric's CO2 rifle, to get to the baked goods. They had the bread out of the bag and were pigging out on it. 

At the City Wide Yard Sale, I kept my eye out for a vessel we could use to protect future deliveries. Sure enough, there was a red mailbox for sale for $5. We took it home, put a "Bread Delivery Box" sign on the flag and left it (filled, of course) on the next trip. 

After our visit the to Yard Sale, we packed up and headed for Kelley's Island. This time we were able to set a close reach and sail all the way. 

When we arrived, we went to the dock to unload the bikes, and then dropped anchor for the night. As usual, by dusk most of the other boats had departed, leaving us with two motorboats and one other sailboat for the night. We sat on deck and watched the sunset.

I got nervous when I saw the other sailboat head into the protected cove and tie up to the rocks, followed by one motorboat. We turned on the weather radio station and sure enough, an unexpected storm was headed our way, and soon. No time to sail around the island to the city dock, so J  pulled up the anchor and we headed over to the state dock. 

You are only supposed to stay there for 15 minutes, but we have tied up overnight a few times when the weather turned sour suddenly. We sat on the deck and watched the approaching storm. And the final motorboat. 

He came into the cove and tried to drop anchor, but there is so much seaweed growing there that he could not get it to catch. We could see it covered with vegetation when he raised it for another try. Jerry went ashore and called out to him that there was another side to the dock where we were and he would help him tie up there. In short time, he was secure.

Turned out it was a guy from New York who was making the Great Loop - down through the Great Lakes to the Mississippi (through estuaries near Chicago), on to the Gulf of Mexico and back up on the Atlantic Coast, (people often use the Inter-coastal Waterway to avoid the open ocean.) We exchanged a few words and went to sleep. 

The next morning, I headed up to the State Park to take a shower before we moved back to our anchorage. I hoped to check out the kayaks by now, but had not had a chance yet. J walked to the store across the street for ice. When I got back, there was a park worker there who said we had to move immediately and had no sympathy for the conditions of the night before. We were getting ready to go when another official arrived. He let us take a few more minutes since our boat is registered in Ohio, but the guy from New York had to move right then. Not very hospitable if you ask me. (Note, there was no one else around trying to use the dock.)

For the next few days, we did all our favorite Kelley's Island things - biked around the Island, had strawberry shots at Bag the Moon Saloon, toured the Glacial Grooves (pictured below with J and our friend Jeanne), found the reservoir in the old quarry and enjoyed the sandy beach area. 

One day, I decided it was time for me to try the new kayaks. J had been in them and found it challenging to get in and out from the ladder on the boat. We had a inflatable dinghy before and you could step in the center and then lower yourself into the seat. When J tried standing in his kayak to get back onboard, the kayak flipped and he lost his new goggles. He was not sure the kayaks were going to work for getting to and from shore after that. 

Of course, I am smaller and lighter than J, so it was easy to put one foot in the kayak and slip into the seat. The kayak skids away. but it was tied to the sailboat so I reeled myself back in, got my paddle and I was in. J was more curious to see if I could successfully get back out. I did not think about it, just reversed the process, putting my weight on the foot on the ladder before  standing and I was out.

To his credit, J did not lose his temper when I stumbled into this method so easily. He even gave me credit later for showing him how to do it. I think now the kayaks have a chance of lasting for future seasons.

We paddled all over. checking out the shore and the other boats. When we decided to swim (finally, it is warm enough to try my new alligator float!), I decided to use the kayak to drag it to shore and wade in the shallow water to get on. I did get some strange looks as I paddled back and forth with the alligator in tow, but it made sense to me! I hated to see that afternoon end. 

We went home relaxed and rested. Ready to sail another day as soon as possible!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment