Thursday, June 21, 2012

Planning a Wedding for Myself?

About the time all the dust settled from the divorce and retirement, an old friend got in touch. "Let's go see a play some Sunday afternoon," he said. Little did I know that one play would lead to being almost inseparable for over 2 years, buying a sailboat together and to ME proposing to him. But, after all, I was the one who said she would never get married, so I had to ask him - he was not going to ask me.

Well, anyway, he said yes, so now we are going crazy getting ready for our small, intimate family wedding in the backyard. Funny, no matter how small a wedding is, you still have to make many of the same choices and plans. What to wear, what kind of ceremony, what music, what food to serve, etc.

We were only going to have 14 guests originally. Piece of cake, right? I had enough tables, chairs, dishes, glasses, silverware - you name it. But how could we not invite his 10 grandkids who all live in town? So now we need 24 or 25 of everything. A little more challenging. But it is coming together.

My son and daughter have been very supportive. They never expected both of their parents to be getting married while they are in the 20s - it is supposed to be them, not us. But they have jumped in to help.

My son offered to design and produce hand-crafted invitations and they turned out great. My daughter is my Maid of Honor. I sent her a list I found of duties for the MOH. She loved the one about counseling the nervous bride. My favorite was the idea of her handling all crises on the wedding day.

We have a few more details to handle - picking cupcakes, getting a license, creating a program. Now if I can just get lucky and have a mild sunny day...

No comments:

Post a Comment