Sunday, February 24, 2013

My wedding shower

One of the most fun events around my late life wedding was initiated by the ladies with whom I play tennis. They were thrilled when I got engaged. I think they were worried about me and all my stories about the men I met on match.com. Although they loved hearing the stories on our rides to away tennis matches!

Shortly after I told them about my upcoming wedding, they asked if they could have a shower. I politely declined, explaining we had everything we needed and I was not comfortable with the idea of gifts. They then suggested a wine party one evening and I agreed that would be fun.

Imagine my chagrin when I saw the guests arriving with gift bags. A close friend told me to just wait and it would make sense. We enjoyed food and drinks and then I indeed began to open the gifts.

It turned out my friends had decided to give me unique wine glasses, each representing the person who gave it. They were very creative, from the ones that were painted brightly with clever sayings, to the ones with a variety of etchings and colors in the glass. Some were new and modern and a few were the last of cherished family collections.

Each one was a delightful surprise and I was doing well until they tried to test me on which one came from which guest! I protested (I could not have done that even when I was younger!) and made a list for future reference.

I was able to use two of the glasses that happened to feature my wedding colors for the Wine Ceremony at the wedding.

And we plan to have many parties in the future using these lovely momentos of this happy time in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment